Monday, November 1, 2010

Costume!

Hi fellow bloggers!

As promised, here is the costume reveal!!

I dressed up as Glinda, the good witch of the North, from the Wizard of Oz!

The dress was a second hand find from Value Village, white costume gloves from a discount store, wand and crown DIY- materials from my house and the dollar store!

Here are the before photos and instructions:

CROWN- for the crown all i used was the cardboard from a cereal box. I freehand drew out the peaks of the crown and cut around them. I didn't cut peaks into the back. Then I gave both sides several coats of white acrylic paint. After that dried, I coated the outside with a thin layer of painted on white glue, and sprinkled silver glitter over it. I added 3D paint around the border, and sprinkled it with blue glitter for contrast. After it dried, i used white glue to make it circular and small/large enough for my head. Clips or clothespins helped hold the glued ends together while they dried.

WAND- for the wand I used 2 dried up pens, a christmas tree star topper (or an ornament would do), white duct tape, and a roll of silver curling ribbon. I attached the 2 pens together lengthwise to make a long handle for the wand. I wrapped the duct tape around them until it was even and looked okay. (note: the tape gets wrapped diagonaly and will have bubbles in it, but keep playing with it until you are happy with the way it looks. mine wasn't perfect, but no one noticed!) Then I used an old kitchen knife to cut the outer star ring apart from the inner two. This step isn't neccessary but I wanted a smaller star. The topper was flimsy plastic so it was very simple to do. Attach the topper to the taped pens at the point or other attachment site if there is one (ex: the end of the topper), using more duct tape. Tie curling ribbon on the attached part of the star, and curl ends.
To make my dress more fancy, I used white fabric paint to paint stars on the bottom corner of my dress. Then I used craft glitter (before the paint dried) to make it sparkly. I made swirls and used blue glitter to match the crown. I apologize for the poor quality of this photo, I should have ironed!!This was one of my favorite costumes ever! I was a runner-up at the costume contest too :)
Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment